THE ATHENIAN TRIBUTE LISTS, by Benjamin Dean Meritt - 1939 [2 Vols]$195.00
The Athenian Tribute Lists - 2 Volumes
by Benjamin Dean Meritt; H.T. Wade-Gery; Malcolm Francis McGregor
Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1939.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes display mild overall aging and wear.
- Green cloth covers display mild overall rubbing and edgewear, with occasional small stains and smudges along lower edges.
- Volume 1:
- some small bumps are visible along fore and foot edges of covers, as well as small stains along foot edges. (See photos)
- fold-out map is contained in pocket on back pastedown. (See photos)
- back endpapers are notably foxed, with a residue. (See photos)
- some dust and smudges are visible at corners of text block. (See photos)
- Volume 2:
- front board exhibits a margin of fading of approx. 2.25" into cover from head edge, and 0.5" from fore edge. (See photos)
- Spines feature text in gilt, and are sunned, displaying mild overall rubbing, as well as softening and some rubbing to ends.
- Binding is secure in both volumes, a little free at the hinges in volume 1.
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning.
- Maps are well preserved with little aging and wear, except for last maps of end section in volume 1, which display foxing and dust.
- Interior is gently age-toned in both volumes, with occasional foxing and dust. First and last pages display some foxing. Endpapers are foxed, as is half-title page in both volumes.
- A couple pages exhibit some residue along head edge. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges display commensurate toning, as well as some foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
605 pgs (vol 1) + 125 pgs (vol 2). 10.5 x 14 inches.
This is a thorough and detailed study of Greek epigraphy. Writing representing such an essential part of Ancient Greek civilization, it becomes thus clear that such a detailed and minute study of Greek documents, and of epigraphy in general, would unveil a lot about this civilization. Showing photographs of the original pieces, giving restored translations and offering the versions of various scholars, this study matches the photographic documents with diagrams to achieve a better understanding of the the placement of each word, and therefore the meaning of each piece.
Two volumes. Illustrated with B&W photographs, as well as a massive collection of maps, fold-outs and diagrams. Full fold-out map is contained in pocket against back pastedown of first volume.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore