THE ART OF EDWARD WESTON, edited by Merle Armitage - 1932 [Signed 1st Ed]$2,200.00
The Art of Edward Weston
by Edward Weston
edited by Merle Armitage
Edward Henry Weston (1886-1958) has been called "one of the most innovative and influential American photographers" and Diego Rivera hailed him as a master of 20th century art. This very scarce first monograph was published the same year he helped found Group f/64 with Ansel Adams and other Cali photographers. It features the range of his work, from portraits to landscape to close ups of natural forms.
Vibrant full page B&W photos are paired with minimal captions on facing pages. Includes 5 essays, including one by Weston. and concludes with a brief biography. 12 pages of text are followed by 39 featured photo pages. 10.5 x 13.75 inches.
SIGNED boldly on edition page by EDWARD WESTON.
Part of a Limited Edition of 550 copies, of which this is numbered as the letter R, published by: E. Weyhe, New York. 1932.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a custom slipcase.
- This handsomely bound book has been enhanced with the recent addition of a plastic DJ and a lightweight slipcase, wrapped in black cloth.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Black cloth over boards with quarter-bound white linen on spine have beveled boards.
- Some faint staining is evident to black cloth, upper back corner is bumped, foot edges near corner are intermittently scuffed for about 1". Please see photos.
- Spine has been sun darkened, with moderate dirt and scattered staining along the length. Some of these issues carry over to boards.
- Spine is sun darkened and has some dirt and staining, particularly near tail.
- Photo plates are crisp and clean.
- Pages facing photos have a faint square shadow the size of the photo. It is too faint to photograph under standard conditions.
- Inside pages have an occasional smudge.
- Page 1 of text has a 1/4" closed tear at fore margin.
- A custom plastic dust jacket was made to protect this book.
- A custom lightweight slipcase was made to house this book, and further protect it from future aging and shelfwear.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.