THE AMERICANS, by Robert Frank; Kerouac - 2008 [Signed] *Steidl*
photos by Robert Frank
introduction by Jack Kerouac
SIGNED, 50th Anniversary edition. Gottingen, Germany: Steidl, 2008.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition, with a VERY GOOD++ DJ.
- ISBN: 9783865215840
- Barely used book is wrapped in a DJ featuring one of Frank's startling photos of a segregated New Orleans trolley.
- Black boards have sharp corners and firm spine ends, and only faint signs of dust or scuffs. Front board has a single thread pull at center of foot edge.
- Blue ink on spines is clear and intact.
- Binding is tight and mostly feels unread.
- White endpapers are free of writing and notable marks.
- Illustrations are crisp and bright.
- Interior is fresh and bright.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges exhibit a little dusty scuffing at corners, and a smudge at foot near corner.
- Illustrated DJ is in exceptional condition, with only very light shelfwear, most obvious being light scuffs along back shoulder and a 2mm scuff-crease near back foot of shoulder.
Unpaginated (117 pages). 8.5 X 7.5 inches.
A 1st edition of 50th anniversary special edition. Including Beat writer Jack Kerouac's intro (to the 1st US edition), it features all new tri-tone scans of the original prints, with uncropped variations for most of the 83 photos, replacing two photographs with a same-subject, alternate-perspective image. B&W photos are presented as full-page images, with brief descriptive text on facing page.
Considered the most famous photography book ever published, The Americans shattered conventions both in style and content. Inspiring the likes of Winogrand and Davidson, this masterpiece remains fresh and vibrant with it's visual poetry. The selection of photos, and their sequence and pacing is fresh, rich, generous, and stunning. We invite you to read more about it on our blog!
Robert Frank (1924-2019) was a Swiss-born American photographer and documentary film craft. He initially honed his craft with commercial photography--work that paid the bills until he could branch off on his own. After setting this book free into the world, he transitioned his artist's eye to the medium film.
EDITION POINTS: Flat Signed by Robert Frank on title page. First Edition of the 50th Anniversary Edition published by Steidl.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore