THE AENEID OF VIRGIL, by C.P. Cranch (tr) - 1906 [Ltd Ed; 2 Vols]
The Aeneid of Virgil in Two Volumes
translated into English by Christopher Pearse Cranch
LIMITED EDITION. No. 542 of 650 Copies. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin and Company, 1906.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Custom early 20th century volumes feature three-quarter leather binding, with light blue marble design, as well as gilt and five raised bands on spine, and AEG.
- Volumes display gentle overall aging and wear, and are nicely preserved.
- Boards exhibit occasional scuffing and gentle overall rubbing.
- Covers display some edgewear, with light rubbing and bumping to corners.
- Volume 2 shows stronger bumping and rubbing to head corners, exposing boards. (See photos)
- Spines display light rubbing, a little more to volume 1 - that also displays some rubbing along front shoulder.
- Binding is secure throughout both volumes.
- Illustrations are well preserved, mostly bright and clear, with occasional marginal foxing and overall toning. (See photos)
- Illustrations inside are protected behind labeled tissue guards.
- Title and limitation pages as well as feps display some stronger toning as well as overall foxing.
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout in both volumes, a little more marginally.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Publisher's ribbon bookmark has left offset at foot of gutter. (See photos)
- Some pages display light edgewear. Volume 1 shows a minor chip to fore edge of first 16 pages.
- Text block edges are deckled and display commensurate age-toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
266 pgs (vol 1) + 283 pgs (vol 2). 7.5 x 10.75 inches.
Early 20th century custom three-quarter-leather binding features gilt on covers, with gilt and five raised bands on rounded spines. Handsome volumes have AEG and beautiful marble endpapers.
Features illustrations throughout, as well as two frontispieces, one in color and one a B&W reproduction. Signed "Bound at the Riverside Press" on fep.
Written by Virgil between 29 and 19 BC, The Aeneid is one of Antiquity's masterpieces in literature, along with Homer's classics, The Iliad and The Odyssey. It relates the outcome of the Trojan War and the adventures of the hero Aeneas, ancestor of the Romans, who traveled to Italy after the loss of Troy to the Greeks. Gathering pieces of legends on the hero, already mentioned in Homer's works, Virgil created what is now considered one of the greatest works of Latin literature.
Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC) was an Ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period, the author of three of the most famous works in Latin literature: the Eclogues, the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid, all of which are in poetic form.
Christopher Pearse Cranch (1813-1892) was an American of many talents and professions, including writer, artist, Unitarian minister and a published poet. He made his contribution to modernize this great epic poem in his later years, at a time when most were still exalting translations from earlier centuries.
EDITION POINTS: Limited Edition with Number of Copy handwritten on Limitation Page (542/650).
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore