THE ACANTHUS LEAF, by Hermann Lindenberg - 1903
The Acanthus Leaf applied to the Various Styles
by Hermann Lindenberg
New York: A. Gerbel, Publisher, 1903.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Portfolio features handsome marble design on covers. Plates are loose as issued in portfolio.
- Portfolio and plates exhibit commensurate aging and wear.
- Plates display commensurate toning throughout, with occasional smudges and fingerprints in margins. (See photos)
- Plates exhibit occasional minor edgewear with small corner creases.
- Plates are hand-numbered.
- Title page shows commensurate age-toning with an 8" shadow along fore edge descending from head edge. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Portfolio shows significant edgewear with rubbing and chipping, notably a 0.5" x 1.25" chip to fore edge on back. (See photos)
- Front board shows cracking to head corner.
- Spine shows darkening and fingerprints, and is fraying at ends ans along back shoulder. Title is on head of front shoulder.
20 gelatine plates. 10.25 x 13.25 inches.
Plates are loose in portfolio with color marble covers.
Features 20 gelatine plates from originals by Hermann Lindenberg.
This beautiful collection of plates illustrates the versatility of the model of the acanthus leaf, a special type of flowering plant whose shape has served as model for architectural and book decorations since as far as the the times of Roman and Grecian styles. In an amazing array of designs that are all inspired by this same model, Lindenberg gives examples of its use in the various styles in which it was commonly employed, including Roman, French, Italian, German styles, as well as the various time periods in each country, even including specific styles such as the Florentine Renaissance or Louis XIV styles.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore