TEA OF THE SAGES: THE ART OF SENCHA, by Patricia J. Graham - 1998$125.00
Tea of the Sages: The Art of Sencha
by Patricia J. Graham
Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 1998
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a VERY GOOD.
- ISBN: 082481942
- Illustrated DJ features a black, white, red photograph of a tea pot.
- Boards show some shelfwear and edgewear as well as signs of damp staining. (See Photos).
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine has red text against a black background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Endpapers and feps have some
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior has evidence of damp staining throughout the book on the right foot corner. (See Photos).
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside page of chapter seven has a bent top right corner. (See Photos).
- Illustrated DJ has some edgewear and shelfwear with bumping along the head of the spine. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
259 pages. 8.25 x 10 inches.
The Japanese tea ceremony is generally identified with chanoyu and its bowls of whipped, powdered green tea served in surroundings influenced by the tenets of Zen Buddhism. Tea of the Sages is the first English-language study of the alternate tea tradition of sencha. At sencha tea gatherings, steeped green leaf tea is prepared in an atmosphere indebted to the humanistic values of the Chinese sages and the materialistic culture of elite Chinese society during the Ming and Qing dynasties. This exceptionally well-illustrated volume explores sencha's philosophy and arts from the seventeenth century to the present.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore