TALES OF THE DEAF AND DUMB, by John R. Burnet - 1835 [1st Ed]$250.00
Tales of The Deaf and Dumb, with Miscellaneous Poems
by John R. Burnet
Presumed 1st Ed. Published by: Benjamin Olds, Newark, NJ, 1835.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays moderate expected aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Quarterbound in dark brown cloth.
- Cardboard covers exhibit some light evidence of water damage, with scattered damp stains on front and back, as well as some scuffs.
- Boards display some edgewear with rubbing that exposes the boards.
- Spine is in darker brown cloth, and features remnants of a blue titleblock with black text.
- Spine ends are softened and chipped, spine showing overall sunning as well as a tiny hole onto back shoulder.
- Binding is secure.
- Endpapers display pronounced foxing, with front pastedown exhibiting ink gift inscription. (See photos)
- Fold-outs are well-preserved displaying foxing and toning as present in rest of book. (See photos)
- Interior show expected age-toning with scattered foxing, unevenly present on pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages occasionally display small corner creases. (See photos)
- Textblock edges exhibit moderate toning and darkening.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
230 pages. 4.5 x 7.25 inches.
A fascinating collection of tales on those who have been deprived of hearing. In the world we live, it seems only natural to hear and speak, and we often take these precious gifts for granted. Yet these tales are of uncommon human beings, who have never lived with, or have been suddenly deprived of, what we naturally possess, and yet should consider as a privilege. The stories are inspiring not only because of their incredible emotional depth and the compassion they generate, but also, and perhaps mostly, because of the marvelous capacity for adaptation it reveals in man, and living without that which seems essential to the acceptance into society and the world, and the contact with one's surroundings. Complete with statistics as well as a fold-out of instruction for sign language, this is a book that speaks for those who cannot. At the end of this remarkable volume are added some beautiful miscellaneous poems.
Includes two fold-outs: one fold-out on the ASL alphabet, and one fold-out of statistics showing the number of deaf and "dumb" in the population of the US. Includes also a preface and a collection of miscellaneous poems at the end of the volume, as well as an attached errata sheet at end.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.