SILVIA DUBOIS, by C.W. Larison -1883
Sylvia Dubois (Now 116 Yers Old); A Biografy of The Slave Who Whipt Her Mistres and Gand Her Fredom
by C. W. Larison
A remarkable piece of history as well as a moving account of slavery and the fight of those brave enough to protest against it, Dubois' biography is a story of heroism and belief in one's own power to change one's destiny. An extraordinary character, Dubois was feared for her unusual physical strength and courage, which made both men and women afraid of her. Her retaliation after having been badly whipped by her mistress, eventually made her gain her freedom. This is a story worthy of being told, and an inspiration to all who must stand up against inequality and mistreatment. 124 pages + publisher ads. 4.75 x 8 inches.
Written in phonic (aka phonemic) orthography. Includes two engravings among which a portrait of Sylvia Dubois. Includes a preface and an appendix, as well as some pages of publisher advertisements at end of volume.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: C.W. Larison, Publisher, Ringos, NJ, 1883.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volume is overall in well-preserved condition with faded covers and gently toned interior.
- Plain covers display pronounced overall fading and dust.
- Back cover exhibits a small indentation towards edge on lower part.
- Corners are sharp and edges are firm.
- Spine displays some softening of ends, and a scuff to lower half of back shoulder. (See photos)
- Binding is intact with some play, and a fragile front hinge with cracking.
- Front fep has ballpoint pen dedication with date from previous owner. (See photos)
- Interior is well-preserved and displays minor expected toning.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display gentle overall toning, with some damp staining along head and foot, which also includes some ink stains. (See photos)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore