STUDY AND STIMULANTS, by A.A Reade - 1883 Alcohol Narcotics Famous Testimonies
Study and Stimulants; or, the Use of Intoxicants and Narcotics in Relation to Intellectual Life, as Illustrated by Personal Communications on the Subject, from Men of Letters and of Science
edited by A. Arthur Reade
Published by: J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA, 1883.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volume displays moderate overall aging and wear.
- Red buckram covers show light overall fading and edgewear with rubbing. Back cover shows to pencil marks, difficult to distinguish upon first examination.
- Corners are lightly bumped and show rubbing a little more pronounced than edges.
- Spine features faded and darkened white title block with black text and a chip along right edge. (See photos)
- Binding is secure with a little splitting at lower half of gutter between some pages. (See photos)
- Ex-library: front and back endpapers show discarded stamp, residue and card pocket. (See photos)
- Interior is well-preserved with little toning, and some foxing to feps and title page.
- Some pages are uncut.
- At least introduction page shows some pencil marks. (See photos)
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and exhibit some foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
This collection of letters and testimonies from various prominent literary and scientific figures has been put together by the editor as a study on the effect and use of narcotics and stimulants for mental work and efficiency. Featuring testimonies by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Mark Twain, Thomas Edison, Wm Bryant, Charles Darwin, John Ruskin and many others, it allows an insight into the habits of great men, and a definitive assessment of the efficiency of drugs for intellectual labor.
Includes an introduction by the editor.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore