STORY OF THE EYE, by Georges Bataille - 1977
Story of the Eye
by Georges Bataille, aka "Lord Auch"
translated by Joachim Neugroschel
New York: Urizen Books, 1977.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Volume features B&W illustrated DJ, is quarter-bound in black cloth and features yellow paper covers with gilt on rounded spine.
- Book displays gentle overall aging and wear.
- Covers display minimal overall fading and edgewear, with a little dust along head edges.
- Spine exhibits minimal fading to foot.
- Binding is secure and strong, with some slight gaps. (See photos)
- Interior displays gentle overall toning.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Front fep as well as ad pages at end show a small spot near foot edge. (See photos)
- Text block edges are slightly dusty.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper. (Mylar has been added after photos were taken)
- DJ exhibits some smudges and gentle toning, as well as gentle edgewear with creasing along 3" at head edge on front, a small vertical tear on same edge, and minimal overall scuffing.
- DJ shows a 1.75" damp stain along fore edge on back, as well as some tears and scuffs along interior of fore edge on front. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
120 pages. 5.75 x 8.75 inches.
Book features great DJ with B&W illustration on front. Volume is half-bound in black cloth with gilt on rounded spine and yellow covers.
Volume features a translator's note, as well as an Outline of a Sequel to the "Story of the Eye", and a Preface to the "Story of the Eye" from Le Petit: 1943.
This is a novella detailing the successive, increasingly bizarre sexual perversions of a couple of teenage lovers. Deemed one of the most important writers of the 20th century by Michel Foucault, Bataille has produced a work that "obliges us to confront the idea of pornography as a serious literary genre" as declared by Susan Sontag.
Georges Bataille (1897-1962) was a French intellectual and literary figure whose field of work stretched over literature, philosophy, anthropology, consumerism, sociology and art history. His writings include novels, essays and poetry, in which he explores the themes of eroticism, mysticism, surrealism, and transgression. His influence was vast on philosophy and social theory, including post-structuralism.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore