SOUTINE: PEINTRE DU DECHIRANT, by Pierre Courthion - 1972 [1st Ed]
Soutine: Peintre du Dechirant
(Soutine: Painter of the Heart-Breaking
by Pierre Courthion
FIRST EDITION. Text in French. Lausanne, Switzerland: Edita De Noel, 1972.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- Volume features full-color DJ and beautiful binding with red covers and gilt on front and on rounded spine.
- Book displays minor overall aging and wear.
- Covers are vibrant. Foot corner of front displays minimal rubbing.
- Boards exhibit some dirt and minimal bumping along foot edges. (See photos)
- Spine is vibrant, showing minimal play.
- Binding is secure.
- Illustrations are well preserved and show little to no aging or wear.
- Interior shows minor age-toning, that is a little stronger along edges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are a little dusty along head, and show some dirt to foot corner and along foot edge.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ displays gentle toning on back and is vibrant on front with full-color reproductions of paintings.
- DJ displays minimal edgewear.
298 pages. 10.25 x 12.25 inches.
Book features great DJ with full-color reproductions of paintings on front, and red cloth covers with gilt on front and rounded spine.
Volume is lavishly illustrated with full-color plates that are pasted along two edges, as well as B&W reproductions of paintings. Includes 11 essays on the artist's life and works as well as Notes, a Chronology, a Catalogue Raisonne, a List of Exhibitions and a Bibliography.
Chaim Soutine is a major artist not only in the context of Russian and French schools but also in a general 20th-century European scale. His style has a distinctive originality that deeply appeals to our subconscious and always hints at a deeper symbolic meaning. This work is a catalog of his works as well as a biography and analysis of his works. A captivating text filled with interesting anecdotes from the artist's life is paired with detailed descriptions of each of the works presented, that are also discussed with an interest in their deeper meaning. It constitutes an insightful study that represents a valuable addition to any art library.
Chaim Soutine (1893-1943) was a Russian-French painter of Jewish origin. Mainly inspired by the classic style of the Europeans Rembrandt, Chardin and Courbet, he made a major contribution to the expressionist movement while residing in Paris, and is remembered as a bridge between traditional painting styles and the budding Abstract Expressionism movement.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore