SLOUCHING TOWARDS BETHLEHEM, by Joan Didion - 1968 [Signed 1st Ed]$995.00
SLOUCHING TOWARDS BETHLEHEM Joan Didion 1968 [SCARCE Signed 1st Ed] Rare DJ NF HB
Slouching Towards Bethlehem
by Joan Didion
Didion's first non-fiction book is a collection of magazine pieces about her experiences in California--after living away for a few years in New York City and working for Vogue. Slouching Towards Bethlehem reached literary acclaim as an example of New Journalism. She uses first person narrative to share her personal feelings and memories, while exploring the cultural values and experiences of American life in the 1960s. 238 pages. 5.5 x 8.25 inches.
VERY SCARCE SIGNATURE on half title page with inscription by author "For Angela with best wishes" and dated 1981.
Stated FIRST PRINTING, Published by Farrar, Strauss, and Giroux, New York. 1968.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition, with a VERY GOOD++ DJ.
- Very clean covers feature blind tooled decoration on front.
- Bright gilt on orange spine.
- Spine ends are bumped. Foot of spine is lightly softened.
- Top corner of front cover is visibly bumped. Gentle bump to back top corner.
- Front has 2 small light scuffs and a lined impression near spine cloth.
- Head of text block is inked in red.
- Text block edges show a few light blemishes.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Dust jacket looks great behind Mylar, and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination behind Mylar reveals that DJ has lightly chipped corners and bumped spine ends. (See photos)
- DJ shows very minimal soiling or scuffing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Joan Didion (b.1934) is best known for her novels and her literary journalism. Her novels and essays explore the disintegration of American morals and cultural chaos, where the overriding theme is individual and social fragmentation.
New Journalism seeks to communicate facts through narrative storytelling and literary techniques. This style is also described as creative nonfiction, intimate journalism, or literary nonfiction. It is characterized by a subjective perspective, a literary style reminiscent of long-form non-fiction and emphasizing "truth" over "facts," as opposed to traditional journalism where facts are reported as objectively as possible.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com