SKETCHES OF THE HISTORY OF AMERICA, by James Thomson Callender - 1798
Sketches of the History of America
by James Thomson Callender
A fascinating collection of extracts, records, speeches, and crucial moments in the history of our great nation, gathered in this precious antiquarian edition. A documented and controversial historian, and expert commentator, the author describes with invaluable accuracy and clarity the events he treats, and never fails to deliver important comments as well as personal opinion, making his work a priceless overview on the past of America, covering the time period beginning with its discovery and ending at the invasion of Pennsylvania by the Susquehanna Company. 264 pages. 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
Preface and table of contents included. Publisher ad at end of volume.
Published by: Snowden & M'Corkle, Philadelphia, 1798.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume is in overall good- condition with severe aging on covers and inside, from toning and chipping.
- Quarter leatherbound covers display overall rubbing and fading with strong edgewear, and a split along shoulder of spine on back. (See photos)
- Boards feature faded color designs with scuffs, and show severe edgewear from rubbing and chipping with exposed boards.
- Corners are severely rubbed with exposed boards and chips, and are bumped and softened.
- Spine has textblock with title and lines in gilt, largely affected by chipping. (See photos)
- Binding is secure with some cracking at hinges.
- Endpapers are toned and foxed, with a shadow from binding at ends of hinges.
- Front and back feps are uncut at head edge. (See photos)
- Interior is severely age-toned with overall foxing, staining, and some shadows, with a persistent stain at lower end of gutter on last pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Interior pages exhibit an expected overall uniform gentle warping visible at fore and foot edges.
- Pages show pronounced edgewear with large chips and creases to corners.
- Text block edges are strongly toned with darkening along head and staining to foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore