SHORT POEMS, by John Berryman - 1958 [1st Edition] The Dispossessed Scarce DJ
by John Berryman
FIRST EDITION. Published by: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, New York, 1958.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Volume is overall in Very Good condition showing mild overall wear and aging.
- Covers are well-preserved with faint edge toning and minimal edgewear.
- Quarterbound in brown cloth.
- Boards are in marbled yellow paper.
- Spine features gilt and yellow lettering, and shows minimal fading to ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Ephemera is in well-preserved condition, with photograph and review slip displaying minor edgewear and aging.
- Photograph is toned along head edge on verso. Toning little affects front.
- Interior is gently age-toned and is intact.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges were tinted along head, which is now mostly faded. Fore edge of textblock has a small damp stain (not seen on open page). (See photos)
- DJ looks nice behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ is not price-clipped.
- DJ displays mild edge toning, more to upper edge on front, and some overall rubbing. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Ephemera consists of a review slip and a B&W photograph of the author.
American poet John Berryman (1914-1972) is considered a major figure in American poetry of the second half of the 20th century, and a key figure in the Confessional school of poetry. His best-known work being The Dream Songs, a compilation of poems in free verse expressing the author's changes in mood and attitude, he was mostly celebrated for the individual expression that he attained in his writings, deeply representative of his dramatic life. The poems featured here are emblematic of his very personal style and expressive power.
Poems inside divided in five parts.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore