SHOCKING LIFE, by Elsa Schiaparelli -1954 [1st Ed w/Rare PUBLISHER's BOOKMARK]$750.00
Shocking Life: The Autobiography Of Elsa Schiaparelli
by Elsa Schiaparelli
Very scarce first edition with full color bookmark designed expressly for this edition. Filled with mostly B&W photos, but also a few painting / poster repros--such as the full color frontis of a Picasso, center plates by Berard, and a repro of Drian's portrait. The last page features Schiap's 12 commandments for women. 254 pages. 6" by 8.5 inches.
Elsa Schiaparelli (1890–1973) was one of the leading fashion designers of the 1920s to 1940s, and known as Coco Channel's greatest rival. This fascinating autobiography follows her career that began in a very humble apartment in Rome, to her sky-rocketing success in fashion, through the war years when she worked for the American Red Cross, to her eventual role as designer to the stars. This book was released the same year she closed down the couture house in Paris, as her eye for fashion was not as well suited to the austerity fashion of post-war France.
Stated First Edition, includes a full-color bookmark designed specifically for this edition. Publishing Info for US distribution: E. P. Dutton & Co., New York. 1954
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a GOOD++ DJ.
- Black cloth boards in excellent condition, with bright ink and sharp corners.
- Machine signature and title on endpapers in her signature bright pink.
- DJ NOT price clipped.
- FFEP shows some light smudges.
- Mylar wrapped DJ cover, backed with archival paper.
- Small ex libris sticker on front pastedown.
- Interior pages are lightly toned, with darker margins.
- Inside is free of writing and intentional marks.
- "Shocking pink" DJ has photo on back and looks sharp behind Mylar, backed archival paper, and is very minimally faded with gently toned whites,
- Jacket shows some perimeter wear especially at head of back, along with some creases and 4 small closed tears. Foot edge has a 1" closed tear with tiny scuffs.
- DJ shows small chips to head and tail of spine and 3 corners, as well as some creasing and rubbing along shoulders and fore edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
“She knew everyone from Paris to Hollywood, collaborated with the Surrealists, and left her indelible mark on the world of fashion.” —Vogue
“She slapped Paris. She smacked it. She tortured it. She bewitched it. And it fell madly in love with her.”— Yves Saint Laurent
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.