SENECAE TRAGOEDIAE, by M.&L. Seneca; Thomas Farnaby - 1640$250.00
by L&M Seneca with an Introduction by Thomas Farnaby
A genuine, antiquarian edition of some of the great Roman Stoic philosopher's tragic works. Printed in an archaic font, entirely in the original Latin, this beautiful edition features an introduction by Thomas Farnaby, and an index with names of the characters. One of the greatest Roman dramatists of the silver age of Latin literature, Seneca was also a Stoic philosopher, a statesman and a satirist. His works are genuine Latin literature, and sheer enjoyment for the scholar, for translation work, and for tragedy lovers. 525 pages. 4.5 x 6.75 inches.
Text in Latin. Includes an index and an introduction by Thomas Farnaby.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: Ioannem Libert, Paris, 1640.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume is in overall very good- condition with moderate overall wear from staining on covers and toning inside.
- Vellum covers display occasional stains as well as minimal edgewear from light bumping of corners and some darkening and warping.
- Spine features faded brown text and shows scattered overall staining.
- Spine ends are gently bumped.
- Binding is secure to tight. May have been previously reinforced.
- Pastedowns display some ink writing from previous owner as well as some evidence of torn paper, particularly at back fep. (See photos)
- Interior is moderately age-toned with occasional small corner creases.
- Inside pages are otherwise free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display worm holes to upper corner near end of volume, as well as a black stain, showing from interior on text block, to lower corner of pages 491 to 516. (See photos)
- Text block edges display expected toning and some darkening along head, as well as some scattered stains and the stain to lower corner of last pages showing from interior.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore