SELF-RELIANCE, by Ralph Waldo Emerson - 1902 [Roycroft Press Signed & Numbered]
by Ralph Waldo Emerson
printed by Elbert Hubbard
illumined by Lily Ess
Limited numbered edition, signed by printer and artist. East Aurora, NY: Roycroft Shop, 1902
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Three-quarter leatherbound covers in feathered dark green with blue marbled paper are mostly clean, with gilt ruling.
- Boards show a little edgewear. Corners are sharp, slightly scuffed. See photos.
- Spine has raised bands, gilt ornament and text, and is a little sunned. Foot end is bumped. See photos.
- Binding is strong.
- Marble end papers/ pastedowns show little to no sign of wear, are toned at margin. A ripple at head edge. See photos.
- Frontispiece, a portrait of Emerson, is present and has intact guard sheet.
- Illuminations in four colors are bright and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have gilt along head.
64 pages. 5 x 8.25 inches
Limited hand-press edition of Emerson’s famous essay, printed and signed by Elbert Hubbard in his celebrated Roycroft Shop, with frontispiece portrait of Emerson, and title page, initial letter, and colophon hand-illuminated in four colours by Lily Ess who has added her signature and a drawing of the Roycroft symbol below.
One hundred copies printed by hand on Japan vellum. This is number 26. Signed by printer and illuminator following the title page.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore