SELF DEFENCE: OR, THE ART OF BOXING, by Ned Donnelly; J.M.Waite - 1879
Self-Defence: Or, The Art of Boxing
by Ned Donnelly
edited by J.M. Waite
From elementary etiquette to elaborate technique, here is a complete guide to the art of boxing, featuring detailed descriptions of each mentioned blow. Donnelly's scholarly text offers valuable comments and advise as to the blows that are preferable and most efficient in all situations, and gives out key strategies not only to successfully attack but also to efficiently defend and preserve oneself. The accurate and elaborate text is illustrated with plates showing in detail the blows and strategies mentioned, rendering the description more effective and understandable. The book will be found to be a valuable guide for practitioners as well as a nice antiquarian find. 125 pages. 5 x 7.5 inches.
Illustrated with many B&W plates showing the various blows and positions. Includes a preface as well as a list of winners for the boxing championship cups of the Marquis of Queensberry, and an advertisement for fencing, singlestick, sabre, boxing and military drill lessons by J.M. Waite, the editor.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: Weldon & Co., London, 1879.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition showing mild overall wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Green covers feature gilt text and illustration on front with surrounding black filigree, and blind-tooled design on back.
- Boards display moderate overall wear with scuffing, some small black ink stains on back, and mild edgewear with occasional small bumps and rubbing to corners.
- Spine features text in gilt, as well as black filigree to both ends, and exhibits modest fading with softening of ends.
- Binding is overall secure yet somewhat fragile at front hinge and between some pages, where some loosening becomes evident. (See photos)
- Interior is moderately age-toned with scattered foxing throughout, also mildly affecting illustrations.
- Front fep displays a previous owner signature near top edge. Back fep shows a bookseller embossing to upper left corner. (See photos)
- Inside pages are otherwise free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are severely toned and foxed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore