SELECTED POEMS OF ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, illus. by H. Clarke - 1928 [1st Ed]$190.00
Selected Poems of Algernon Charles Swinburne
Illustrations and Decorations by Harry Clarke
Introduction by Humbert Wolfe
FIRST EDITION. London: John Lane The Bodley Head LTD and New York: Dodd, Mead and Company, 1928.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique binding features gilt lettering and illustrations on front and rounded spine, as well as handsome decorated endpapers.
- Volume displays gentle exterior wear and a well preserved interior.
- Covers exhibit overall rubbing with some scuffs scattered on front and back, and bumped corners.
- Spine has softened ends, and displays light fading with fraying at ends and along shoulders.
- Binding is overall secure.
- Front fep shows a dedication, dated 1931, and back fep has some pencil writing along head edge, dated 1871, and appearing to be a quote of Turgenev. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning, and minimal marginal foxing.
- Illustrations on pages 66, 138 and 186 are missing tissue guards, that are either totally missing or partially torn. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, with rare occasional marginal foxing, and is overall remarkably well preserved. Foxing becomes slightly more pronounced towards last pages, while remaining scarce.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Page 194 shows a 1" horizontal tear to fore edge. (See photos)
- Text block edges are deckled along front and foot, and display commensurate toning. Head edge is dusty and shows a few tiny white spots, as well as some foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
217 pages. 6.25 x 9.75 inches.
Handsome antique binding features gilt illustrations and Roman-like lettering on front cover and rounded spine, as well as colorful decorated endpapers. Book is lavishly illustrated in B&W by Harry Clarke. Illustrations are 11 photogravure plates by Nickeloid. All illustrations are protected behind captioned tissue guards. Introduction by Humbert Wolfe.
A collection of the most beautiful poems of Swinburne. Hauntingly sensuous, the works contained in this volume reflect the author's mastery of versification to evoke the most powerful human emotions, from love's ardent passion to the fear of God's judgment. Poems in English verse are put together with some passages in Old French, blending references to Antique gods and goddesses, and elements from mythology, weaving a web that makes up the poet's world.
Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837-1909) was an English poet, playwright, novelist, and critic. He is known for his collections of poems and for being a contributor to the 11th Edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. He dealt with many taboo subjects in his poems, that often feature the same elements, such as the ocean, time, and death.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore