SECRET SYMBOLS OF THE ROSICRUCIANS - 1935 [plates]
Secret Symbols of the Rosicrucians of the 16th and 17th Centuries
an Exact Reproduction of the Original but with the German Text and Terms Literally Translated
SIGNED by H. Spencer Lewis, author of Preface, possible translator.
Chicago, ILL: George Engelke, The Aries Press, 1935. Second Book - Altona, Germany: J.D.A. Eckhardt, 1788.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Elephant folio volume features faded golden covers with red text and line illustration on front.
- Book displays commensurate aging and wear, pronounced on exterior.
- Boards display light fading with some scattered scuffs.
- Covers exhibit pronounced edgewear, with exposed boards and fraying along edges, as well as bumped and softened corners.
- Head corners display severe bumping and softening, with cloth fraying and chipping off. (See photos)
- Spine piece is not whole, showing chipping and fraying along shoulders, as well as chips all along spine piece, with two large end chips, 4" from foot, and 2.5" from head. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure through textblock, yet hinges are splitting, with cracking to front hinge and splits to ends of back hinge, 3" from head and 1.5" from foot. (See photos)
- Front and back feps display edgewear with some tears.
- Illustrations are vibrant, and gently toned, a few with notes.
- Interior is gently toned, with rare smudges.
- Book appears to have been a working copy for someone quite serious. Interior is filled with intriguing notes and manuscripts.
- Pages show heavy pencil marginalia at some places, as well as occasional pencil underlinings. Extensive ink notes can also be seen on facing blank pages. Blank lined pages also have elaborate notes in ink. (See photos)
- Textblock edges display commensurate toning and scuffing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
57 numbered pages. 12 x 18 inches.
Elephant-size volume features golden cloth covers with red text and line illustration on front. This copy was clearly used as a reference book by a serious practitioner, with valuable notes and marginalia.
Book is lavishly illustrated with hand-colored illustrations. Volume is in two books, with second book being the 1788 translation of an old manuscript.
A magnificent book about the mysteries of the order of the Rosicrucians. The illustrations bring to light some of the highest mysteries of the order while the text describes and clarifies some of the sublime secrets and more profound meanings of the symbols that have been used since the beginning of that very old order.
The term "Rosicrucian" has been self-applied to countless societies and it is difficult to trace its true origins. However the most important and profound symbols remain. This book is a priceless and authentic piece of occult literature that uses very old sources.
Harvey Spencer Lewis (1883-1939) was a noted Rosicrucian author, occultist, and mystic. Significantly, he was the founder and the first Imperator of the US branch of the Ancient and Mystical Order Rosae Crucis (AMORC) from 1915 until 1939.
EDITION POINTS: Flat Signed by H.S. Lewis at end of Preface. This is a first English translation of the original German text by an unknown practitioner and expert, possibly from the 1700s.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore