SAUL LEITER: EARLY COLOR - 2006 [Signed 1st Ed]$395.00
STEIDL. SIGNED FIRST EDITION. An illustrated volume firmly bound in red cloth with inked lettering to the spine, complete with the original illustrated DJ. Volume exhibits minimal signs of age and wear. DJ exhibits minimal signs of age and wear. Overall in Near Fine condition.
Saul Leiter: Early Color
Signed First Edition. Published by: Steidl. Gottingen, Germany. 2006.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition, with a NEAR FINE DJ.
- ISBN: 9783865211392
- Red cloth covers exhibit minimal signs of age and wear.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine is square and firm with ink-stamped lettering.
- Frontispiece is present and unworn.
- Title page bears the artist's signature in black ink. Please see photos.
- Illustration plates are present and unworn.
- Interior exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- DJ exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
A selection of the artist's early color photographs originally shot between 1948 and 1960 using expired kodachrome film. Includes an introduction by Martin Harrison.
Although Edward Steichen had exhibited some of Leiter’s colour photography at the Museum of Modern Art in 1953, it remained virtually unknown to the world thereafter.
Leiter moved to New York in 1946 to become a painter, yet through his friendship with Richard Pousette-Dart he quickly recognized the creative potential of photography. Leiter continued to paint, exhibiting with Philip Guston and Willem de Kooning, but the camera remained his ever-present means of recording life in the metropolis. None of Leiter’s contemporaries, with the partial exception of Helen Levitt, assembled a comparable body of work: subtle, often abstract compositions of lyrical, eloquent colour.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore