RAILROAD CAR-BUILDER'S DICTIONARY, by Matthias N. Forney - 1884
The Car-Builder's Dictionary: an Illustrated Vocabulary of Terms which Designate American Railroad Cars, their Parts and Attachments
by Matthias N. Forney
Revised and Enlarged Edition. New York: The Railroad Gazette, 1884.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume has been rebound in plain brown cloth that features gilt on rounded spine.
- Book displays gentle commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit gentle overall rubbing, with some scuffs, and gently bumped corners.
- Spine displays light overall rubbing.
- Binding is secure overall, with minimal play.
- Endpapers display gentle toning and fading. Back endpaper has a white residue near gutter. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning, on a paper that matches rest of text.
- Sets of engravings were expertly tipped in onto matching lips that are hard to distinguish from paper. These help the book lay flat, and sometimes the gutter appears more open.
- Title page has pink stamp mark on upper right corner.
- Interior is gently toned. Pages 151 to page of Figure 289-292 show a persistent damp stain, 0.5" x 1.5" at maximum along fore edge. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages of Figures 358-362 and 363-365 show some staining along head edges, with a 1" circular stain and a 3.5" line going into page.
- Pages occasionally show minimal edge ripples.
- Scattered throughout text are some pages trimmed to different lengths, appearing short at the foot edge.
- Textblock edges are toned and show some minor black ink staining along fore edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
203 pages of text + 358 pages of engravings + 73 pages of ads. 8.5 x 8.25 inches.
Book features antiquarian binding in brown cloth with gilt on rounded spine.
Volume features 358 pages of engravings, as well as a vocabulary of the leading terms used in English railway carriage and wagon construction.
In this remarkable work, for which the author was assisted by two other experts, is presented in detail the science of building different types of railroad cars, as well as the vocabulary of the trade. The exceptional pairing of a vocabulary and instructive illustrations will prove a valuable asset for the understanding of the building method and the utility of each part of the motor, the wheel, the body of the car, etc. All illustrations are accurately captioned and show even the small parts constituting the structure of the locomotive.
Matthias N. Forney (1835-1908) was an American steam locomotive builder and designer. He is best-known for designing the Forney type locomotive. His locomotives served the elevated railroads of New York City long before the system converted to electric power. He was also a founding member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
EDITION POINTS: New Edition, Revised and Enlarged.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore