ROMAN IMPERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS, by John Edward Lee - 1874 [1st Ltd Ed]
Roman Imperial Photographs; being a Selection of Forty Enlarged Photographs of Roman Coins
arranged by John Edward Lee
FIRST LIMITED EDITION. London: Longman's Green, and Co, 1874.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays moderate overall aging and wear.
- Blue cloth covers feature text and filigree in gilt on front, and blind-tooled filigree on back.
- Boards have bevelled edges, and exhibit overall fading and scuffing, as well as pronounced edgewear with fraying and exposed boards.
- Corners are bumped and rubbed with fully exposed boards.
- Book has been recased, with replaced spine and title in black on label. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure. Evidence of early reinforcement at hinge, with crack along gutter behind endpaper.
- Ex-library marks from the Friends Library of Germantown throughout book: library stamp on front pastedown, perforated stamp on title page, and pocket on back pastedown with shadow on fep. Pages facing plate pages have library stamp. Stamp is embossed on front cover. (See photos)
- Interior displays moderate age-toning with some commensurate age warping to plate pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Illustrations are tipped-in with annotations.
- Inside pages exhibit occasional smudges and fingerprints throughout.
- Textblock edges are notably darkened with occasional scuffs.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. Approx. 175 pages. 8 x 11.25 inches.
A valuable numismatic reference for serious collectors and enthusiasts. These coins represent portraits of the greatest figures of the Roman empire. The amazing collection is complete with historical information on the figures portrayed, as well as some notes as to the metal from which the coins were struck, revealing the likenesses and stunning artistry of that time. The collection includes the greatest Roman emperors and their families.
Features forty plates of ancient coin images. Includes a short memoranda on the emperors represented and their families. Ex-library from the Friends Library of Germantown.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore