QUADRUPEDS OF NORTH AMERICA V1, by Audubon and Bachman - 1849
The Quadrupeds of North America - Volume 1
by John James Audubon
The Rev. John Bachman
35 full-color plates. Volume 1 only. Book could be used as a breaker. Is a great rebind candidate. Plates are intact and vibrant.
New York: V.G. Audubon, 1849.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume has front cover detached as well as missing spine piece.
- Interior is well preserved with plates intact.
- Half-bound in leather.
- Covers feature colored patterned design and display notable overall rubbing and aging.
- Leather is rubbed off on most areas of edges and corners, where boards are exposed.
- Leather is also rubbed around corners as well as along shoulders.
- Missing spine piece.
- Binding is broken, essentially in three pieces. The pieces are essentially secure.
- Front cover is detached, as well as first portion of textblock.
- Illustration plates are protected behind tissue guards and are well preserved.
- Colors of plates are still vibrant with light toning, some marginal stains, very little foxing.
- Persistent marginal stain at foot corner throughout book.
- Interior shows moderate toning with occasional foxing and marginal staining.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have marble tint along fore edge and foot. Head shows some tissue guard edges protruding.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
276 pages. 7 x 10.5 inches.
John James Audubon (1785-1851) was an American ornithologist, naturalist and painter. Known for his studies on American birds and his detailed illustrations depicting the birds in their natural habitats, he is the author of The Birds of America, one of the finest books on ornithology ever completed.
Rev. John Bachman (1790-1874) was an American Lutheran minister, social activist and naturalist. He was noted for discovering several species of birds, many of which were named after him.
The present volume is a collaboration of the two naturalists. Filled with details as to the physical characteristics, way of life, geographical distribution, etc. of the species featured, the volume gives an excellent overview of the quadrupeds of North America.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore