PROPHETIES DE MICHEL NOSTRADAMUS - c.1780
Propheties de Michel Nostradamus
(Prophecies of Michel Nostradamus)
"of which Three Hundred have never been printed; found in a Library left by the Author. New Edition, from a Copy found in the Library of the Famous Pascal. With a Life of the Author."
New Edition. Text in French. Two Volumes in One. Riom, France: Landriot, c.1780.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Antiquarian binding features leather covers with gilt lettering on red title block onto spine.
- Volume displays commensurate aging and wear, with overall rubbing and some dryness of leather, and gentle toning inside.
- Covers exhibit overall edgewear, with some exposed boards at corners and some areas along edges.
- Shoulders are cracked, especially along front, where leather is dry and darkened. (See photos)
- Spine displays overall rubbing and some cracking.
- Binding is overall secure. Gutter displays a 0.75" gap from foot, between bookplate page and title page. (See photos)
- Bookplate on ffep displays gentle overall toning, and has title page clipped from other edition of same book glued along head edge. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout, with occasional smudges and corner creasing.
- Inside pages display occasional blue pen lines in margins. (See photos)
- Textblock edges exhibit pronounced toning as well as some foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
288 pages. 3.5 x 5.25 inches.
Includes a short biography of the author, as well as two Prefaces by the author: a Preface to first volume, written to his son Cesar Nostradamus, and a Preface to second volume, written to Henry II, King of France.
Written in enigmatic verse, Nostradamus' Prophecies were a historical piece of tremendous significance for all generations that followed, and so remain for those to come. After his death the work has been continually printed, allegedly predicting with great accuracy the most important future events all over the world. The short biography gives an overview of the life of the great man, while the Preface, written by the author to his son, reveal some of the intimate thoughts of the writer, and his intentions in putting the prophecies on paper.
Michel Nostradamus (1503-1566) was a French astrologer, physician and reputed seer. This collection of 942 poetic quatrains, known as Les Propheties, is considered his greatest legacy to the modern world, with many predictions recognized as exactly describing major world events, despite many controversies.
PROVENANCE: book has ex-libris sticker on front pastedown, as well as illustrated bookplate on page facing title page, with clipping from title page of other edition glued to top of bookplate. Bookplate is from the library of Horace Goldie, M.D., from Nashville, Tennessee.
EDITION POINTS: New Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore