PRISONS AND PRISONERS, by Constance Lytton; Jane Warton - 1914
Prisons and Prisoners: Some Personal Experiences
by Constance Lytton and Jane Warton
A touching and profound account of the hardships of imprisonment by one whose life gave ample opportunity to experience them: Constance Lytton, aka Jane Warton, the name she took to avoid being privileged because of her family connections while she was imprisoned, was familiar to the experience of jail, being a part of the Suffragette movement, and rejected her noble background to join the Women's Social and Political Union. This volume, in which she relates some of her experiences during her difficult times of imprisonment, is not only an endless source of reflexion for any reader, bringing to light some of the conditions undergone by prisoners, but also and foremost an encouragement and inspiration for those who lived, or live such trauma. 337 pages. 5.25 x 7.75 inches.
Two black & white portraits inside. Includes a dedication and an introduction.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: George H. Doran Company, New York, 1914.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with minor wear to covers, interior and DJ.
- Yellow covers feature text in black on front, and display some light general fading, with faint staining.
- Boards exhibit mild edgewear from bumping and some darkening.
- Spine features black text and has softened, slightly darkened ends.
- Binding is overall secure and is intact, with a little play and some gaps between signatures.
- Front fep has pencil writing from previous owner, and also displays a shadow from DJ return, with a chip to hinge. (See photos)
- Frontispiece features black & white portrait photograph of the author protected with intact tissue guard.
- Illustrations are well-preserved, and gently toned, illustration facing page 114 showing a light black finger mark on margin. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with occasional foxing, mostly to first pages, with back fep also displaying shadow from DJ return.
- Some pages have publisher's defects causing irregularities of cut along edges. (See photos)
- Text block edges are moderately toned, and exhibit occasional foxing, dust, and light staining, with edge irregularities protruding.
- DJ looks nice behind Mylar, showing mild edgewear from rubbing, and a prominent chip going into text at head of spine, as well as a small chip lightly affecting text at foot. (See photos)
- DJ is sunned and faded at spine, and displays a 5" vertical light stain on back cover.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore