PRISON SHIP MARTYR, CAPT J. FITCH: HIS DIARY - 1897
Prison Ship Martyr Captain Jabez Fitch: His Diary in Facsimile 1776
by Captain Jabez Fitch
An exceptional insight into the hardships and sufferings endured by those who fought in the Revolutionary War of 1775-1783, Prison Ship Martyr is not only an account of the life and adventures of an American captain; it is the diary of one of the harshest experiences lived by a patriot. Imprisoned eighteen months on a British ship during his service in the US fleet, Captain Jabez Fitch has left a legacy of suffering and dedication through his writings. A facsimile of his diary with his own writing, this volume is a remarkable memoir of war, complete with captioned illustrations and a letter from the author's great-grandson in introduction. Approx. 97 pages. 6.25 x 8.5 inches.
Facsimile edition of the author's diary. Black & white illustrations.
Published by: Martyrs' Monument Fund, Brooklyn, NY, 1897.
Paperback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in good condition with moderate wear on wraps and mild inside.
- Black & white illustrated wraps show moderate to severe aging from staining, creasing, and tears on edges, as well as some foxing and chips especially along fore edges.
- Wraps have pronounced edgewear with 1" vertical closed tears and a long 3.5" horizontal closed tear along lower edge. (See photos)
- Corners are severely chipped with tip missing to most.
- Spine is toned and shows signs of book having frequently been opened.
- Spine ends are chipped.
- Binding is tight along gutter between center pages and fragile along hinges which show some severe cracking and damage. (See photos)
- Endpapers are moderately toned and stained with some foxing at edges of pastedowns. (See photos)
- Interior is mildly aged with toning and occasional small tears or chips to edge of some pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Poor paper quality.
- Text block edges are uniformly toned with some darkening and scarce staining, as well as some shadows.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore