PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, by Jane Austen; illus by C.E. Brock - 1904$150.00
Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen
illustrated after Drawings by C.E. Brock
New York: The Century Co., 1904.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique binding features light brown covers and title block with gilt lettering on spine.
- Book displays gentle overall aging and wear and is well preserved overall.
- Covers exhibit gentle overall rubbing and scuffing, with a faint white line going approx. 2.25" into cover from foot edge.
- Boards display gentle edgewear with a slight bump to foot edge of back. Front cover additionally exhibits a bump to foot edge. (See photos)
- Back board shows some bumping at head edge of shoulder.
- Spine has softened ends. Title block displays some cracking, and a chip to head, going 0.75" into text. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure with a little play.
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning, and rarely show a marginal smudge or stain. Illustration pages are higher gloss paper.
- One illustration shows a marginal smudge, going 0.5" into page, as well as scant evidence of water damage along foot edge. Illustration is not affected by either of these. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with rare occasional smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have gilt along head, and display gentle commensurate aging. Foot edge of text block has a scuff/bump that persists throughout and can be seen, minimally, inside. Fore edge displays minimal warping in center. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
329 pages. 5.5 x 8.25 inches.
Antique book features handsome binding with light brown covers, and title block with gilt lettering on spine. Volume is illustrated from drawings by C.E. Brock throughout, with eight illustrations including frontis. Includes a publisher's note and a list of illustrations.
Book is part of the collection of the English Comedie-Humaine, presenting: "Masterpieces of the great English novelists in which are portrayed the varying aspects of English life from the time of Addison to the present day: a series analogous to that in which Balzac depicted the manners and morals of his French contemporaries."
The beloved classic of one of the most celebrated female authors of the late 18th century is brought to life with the elegant illustrations taken from the drawings of C.E. Brock. Pride and Prejudice is a novel of manners, a story of passion, convention, education, social prejudice, true love, and their conflict. The codes and rules of the society in the Regency era in Great Britain are depicted through the adventures of Elizabeth Bennet, the protagonist of the book, whose experiences with marriage, money, inheritance, bring her to make the distinction between superficial and true goodness. She thus realizes the importance of marrying for love and not for money or social gain, in a world where social conventions and prestige most often rule over true love and benevolence.
Jane Austen (1775-1817) was an English novelist. She is primarily known for her six major novels, among which Pride and Prejudice, which depict the society of the end of the 18th century and comment its various aspects and flaws. Her use of humor and irony, as well as her witty and pleasant writing style, have earned her the appreciation of literary critics and of the general reading public during her lifetime and ever after, and her six novels, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion have enjoyed universal success even more after her death than in her own lifetime, where they were moderately appreciated. She has inspired many critical essays and literary anthologies, as well as movies and series.
Charles Edmund Brock (1870-1938) was an English painter, line artist and book illustrator. Widely published, he was part of a family of artists.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore