PRETTY POLLY: THE HISTORY OF HER CAREER ON THE TURF, by Joscelyne Lechmere - 1907[1st Ed]
Pretty Polly: The History of Her Career On the Turf
by Joscelyne Lechmere
1st Edition. London: John Lane The Bodley Head, 1907
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Green cover features a gilt border and the title written in gilt.
- Boards show signs of dirt, age and light shelfwear.
- Corners are lightly scuffed with exposed board at front foot. (See Photos).
- Spine is faded green with gilt text that has also faded, and bumped ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Endpapers and feps have foxing as well as a discreet bookseller sticker on back pastedown. (See Photos).
- Frontispiece is a photogravure of the horse Petty Polly, bright and clear with intact tissue guard and smudges in margins.
- Illustrations are bright and clear, with some toning.
- Interior is age-toned, with foxing and smudging scattered throughout, as well as edgewear, notable marginal chipping on pages 29 - 32. (See Photos).
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are deckled fore and foot, with gilt at head. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
63 pages. 8x 10 inches.
The book features the detailed life of the race horse Pretty Polly, with a complete record of the horses races. 1901 - 1931 she was an outstanding Irish-bred Thoroughbred racehorse and an outstanding broodmare. She won fifteen consecutive races and was only the fifth filly to win the British Fillies Triple Crown since its inception in 1814.
EDITION POINTS: 1st Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore