PRACTICAL SHIPBUILDING, by A. Campbell Holms - 1918 [2 Vols]
Practical Shipbuilding: A Treatise on the Structural Design and Building of Modern Steel Vessels - 2 Volumes
by A. Campbell Holms
Two Volumes. One Volume of Text and One Volume of Diagrams. London, New York, Bombay, Calcutta and Madras: Longmans, Green and Co., 1918.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes feature blue cloth covers with gilt on spines and front cover of Vol 2.
- Books display commensurate aging and wear overall.
- Covers show overall dust, some fading, scuffing, and significant edgewear.
- Vol 1:
- a small 0.75" damp stain is visible at foot edge of front, as well as fading to back cover;
- boards are exposed at corners. Back corners show some bumping, with a more pronounced bump to head corner;
- spine is sunned with faded gilt, and displays softening and rubbing to ends, as well as a 3.5" crack along head part of back shoulder, with fraying;
- front endpaper has signature from previous owner dated Christmas 1920;
- back hinge is cracked;
- head of textblock is foxed. (See photos for all details)
- Vol 2:
- covers display overall edgewear with occasional bumping along edges and corners, and exposed boards at corners;
- front cover has gilt lettering still bright;
- spine has softened and frayed ends, with a 0.5" chip to head;
- fold-out diagram has a 0.75" horizontal tear on gutter side;
- diagrams are otherwise intact and well preserved with gentle aging;
- back fep has paper clip mark at head corner. (See photos for all details)
- Bindings have some play, along with some issues as stated per volume.
- Feps occasionally show creasing and corner creasing.
- Interior is gently toned in both volumes.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges exhibit commensurate toning with dust along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
637 pages (Vol 1) +115 plates (Vol 2). Vol 1: 6.75 x 10 inches. Vol 2: 15.75 x 12.75 inches.
Both volumes feature blue cloth covers with gilt on spine and front cover of second volume.
Volume one is with text. Volume two has diagrams. Volume one includes a Preface to the Third Edition as well as the original Preface. Volume two features fold-out diagrams at end.
Title continues: "The Work of Construction, from the Making of the Raw Material to the Equipped Vessel, including Subsequent Up-Keep and Repairs." This is a complete, detailed and efficient guide to the art and science of shipbuilding, with all that needs to be known about the material, the structures to build, and other details for a successful result. The first volume is divided in two parts.
Archibald Campbell Holms (1861-1964) was a Scottish shipbuilding expert and spiritualist.
EDITION POINTS: copyright page mentions three editions with three new impressions.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore