PRACTICAL COMPENDIUM OF MIDWIFERY, by Robert Gooch - 1840
Practical Compendium of Midwifery; being the Course of Lectures on Midwifery, and on the Diseases of Women and Infants, Delivered at St. Bartholomew's Hospital
by Robert Gooch
Very scarce 1840 third American edition published posthumously and prepared for publication by George Skinner. Features seven lectures on midwifery and on the diseases of women and infants touching on menstruation, pregnancy, post delivery issues, general management of infants and much more. 339 pages. 5.75" by 9.25".
Published by Haswell, Harrington & Haswell. Philadelphia, PA. 1840.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Full leatherbound covers are mostly clean.
- Boards show some wear such as light distressing to the leather and are cracked along the shoulder where they are partially detached from the spine. Please see photos.
- Hinges are partially cracked.
- Corners are rubbed with partially exposed board at front corners.
- Spine has title block with gilt trim and lettering with an additional seven gilt bands. Spine ends are rubbed. Please see photos.
- The shoulders are cracked along length of spine. Please see photos.
- Binding is remarkably firm overall, tight in areas.
- Age-toned pastedowns and feps with writing in pencil. Please see photos.
- Ffep bears previous owner's stamp which again appears on the title page. Please see photos.
- Signature with preface and first table of contents page is loose. Please see photos.
- Interior is age-toned with consistent foxing throughout.
- Pages 29/30 shows a sharp crease along the top corner.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are age-toned with foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore