POETAE ELEGIACI ET IAMBOGRAPHI, by John Rubenbauer - 1914
Poetae Elegiaci et Iambographi
revised and augmented from the 1866 edition by John RubenbauerPublished by: B.G. Co., London, 1914.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays overall fading to covers, more to edges and along spine, as well as mild toning inside.
- Cloth covers are a little rough, and show pronounced fading along edges, as well as some edgewear with bumping and rubbing exposing boards at lower corners. (See photos)
- Spine features text in gilt, and shows strong uniform sunning, with rubbing and some small chips to ends.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Front endpapers display ownership signatures of Archibald Y. Campbell, Robert D. Murray, Jr., and Irwin Loeb Merker. (See photos)
- Interior displays mild age-toning, and is overall in well-preserved condition, with rare occasional foxing.
- At least one page, page 707 shows notes, marginalia, and underlinings in pencil. (See photos)
- Last pages from 713 to 804 show small damp stain from textblock minimally going into margin. (See photos)
- Textblock edges display expected toning, as well as a light damp stain on fore edge at last pages.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
A collection of poetry by some of the greatest Greek writers and poets of Antiquity. Including texts by Aristotle, Plato, Archilochus and Hipponax, and others, the volume is divided into two distinct styles of ancient Greek poetry: elegiac, and iambic. Elegy is a sad, majestic poetic style that often mourns the death of a figure of heroic greatness, or more simply a poem of mourning, in which the greatness of the human fate and the tragedy of life and death are magnified. Iambic poetry, on the other hand, emphasizes on the lowly and vulgar aspects of human life, often featuring scenes of common life and unheroic situations.
Text and notes in Latin with verses in Greek. Ownership signatures of Robert D. Murray, Jr., Irwin Loeb Merker and Archibald Y. Campbell, a classical scholar, translator, and published poet of the 1920s and 1930s. Includes notes and a Latin-Greek glossary.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore