POEMS IN SCOTTISH DIALECT, by Robert Burns - 1787$925.00
Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect
by Robert Burns
First London Edition, with verified points. Published by: A. Strahan, London; T. Cadell in the Strand; and W. Creech, Edinburgh, 1787.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays gentle commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Half-bound in leather.
- Covers feature marble colored design on paper, and show pronounced overall rubbing.
- Boards show expected edgewear. Rubbing exposes boards at corners and areas along edges. (See photos)
- Book has been rebacked, with fresh leather on spine, and features white titleblock with black lettering and displays some shadows apparent from under leather, possibly from hinge repairs.
- Binding is overall secure.
- Title page shows ink signature of previous owner above title. (See photos)
- Interior is overall remarkably well preserved, exhibiting mild overall age-toning with scarce foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages rarely display some edgewear with corner creases.
- Textblock edges are tinted along head which is now faded, and show pronounced age-toning, as well as some foxing to foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
372 pages. 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
An ensemble of poems by the famous Scottish poet "Robbie Burns" (1759-1796), who is widely regarded as Scotland's national poet and is a cultural icon. While he often wrote in the Scots language, this collection is in English, with most in the Scottish dialect of the day. Burns was a pioneer of the romantic movement, later inspiring founders of socialism and liberalism among others. Many of these pieces are dedicated to the Caledonian Hunt Club, a Scottish racing club where he had many friends. Internationally, he is perhaps best known for writing "Auld Lang Syne", a song still heard today among English speakers at the very end of the year.
Frontispiece features a portrait of the poet. Includes a list of subscribers from The Royal Caledonian Hunt racing club. Most of the poems are in the Scottish dialect. This 3rd edition, dated 1 year after the initial publication of the Kilmarnock volume, is a 1st London edition with verified with edition points.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.