PLANTS OF THE BIBLE, by Harold & Alma Moldenke - 1952 [Signed 1st Ed]
Plants of the Bible
by Harold N. Moldenke; Alma L. Moldenke
FIRST EDITION, SIGNED by both authors on title page. Waltham, MA: Chronica Botanica Company, 1952.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with GOOD- DJ.
- Volume features gilt lettering and device on spine, as well as blind-tooling on boards.
- Blue cloth covers display mild commensurate aging and wear, with some fading and toning along edges, as well as gentle overall rubbing.
- Spine is sunned, and exhibits some softening to both ends, more to head.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- First page shows previous owner signature and dedication, signed 1953. (See photos)
- Interior displays gentle age-toning with occasional foxing, most notably in the 90s, with some dried plants kept between pages showing some offsets. (See photos)
- Page 145 shows some pencil writing under illustrations, and scarce scattered pencil marginalia.
- Some pages show dog-earing. (See photos)
- Text block edges have red tint along head, and display commensurate foxing and toning.
- DJ exhibits toning and staining, including a 2.75" x 2.25" circular grease stain on front. (See photos)
- DJ displays notable edgewear with vertical tears, chipping and creasing along edges, longest of 7 prominent tears is 1.25" and 1" chip at back foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
328 pages. 7 x 10.5 inches.
This is a remarkably thorough and accurate work on the botany of the Bible, gathering the information obtained from numerous libraries and sources. The authors, restoring the importance of the plant kingdom in the stories of the Bible, overcome issues of traditions, translations from the Hebrew, and interpretations of the Church to achieve a well-documented, true-to-text analysis of the various plants mentioned in the Bible. The work will give greater meaning to references to plants in the Holy Scriptures, as well as pointing out their importance.
Illustrated in B&W. Includes a section of B&W plates at end of volume. Includes a bibliography, supplementary notes, a concordance style index to bible verses and a general index in appendix.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore