PINOCCHIO'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND, by Hezekiah Butterworth - 1898
Pinocchio's Adventures in Wonderland
original tale by Carlo Collodi
translated from the Italian and with an Introduction by Hezekiah Butterworth
Generally considered as the 2nd American edition. Boston, MA: Jordan, Marsh & Co., Publishers, 1898.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Quarterbound in blue cloth, that shows mild overall wear and rubbing.
- Pictorial cloth covers feature blue illustration with gilt on blue leather shoulder on front, and handsome gilt on blue flowery design paper.
- Boards exhibit some significant edgewear and are exposed along most of edges. Blue part of boards is better preserved with light edgewear.
- Spine features dark blue illustration wrapping around from front shoulder, with gilt design and lettering.
- Spine shows overall fading and rubbing, as well as softening and closed tears to ends.
- Binding is overall secure, with some fragility along gutter between some pages.
- Illustrations are scarcely affected by smudges and foxing.
- Interior is gently age-toned, with scattered foxing and smudges, mostly marginal, only rarely does faint foxing affect text. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show commensurate toning, and show some evidence of previous inking along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
212 pages. 4.25 x 6.5 inches.
Antiquarian pictorial cloth binding with lovely gilt and blue illustration. Handsome 19th century binding features rounded spine and corners, with a decorated spine. The book opens with an attractive frontis, and continues with some line drawings that bookend the chapters.
This beloved classic of children's literature offers a timeless tale that children can read over and over again. This edition gives life to the characters who return for another great adventure in Wonderland.
Hezekiah Butterworth (1839-1905) was an American author and poet. Most of his books were written for young readers, although he was also a platform lecturer, speaking on education, hymnology, and his many travels, as well as the composer of cantatas.
Illustrated throughout with black line illustrations. Includes an introduction by Hezekiah Butterworth.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore