PHOTOGRAPHS OF ALPINE SCENERY, by Charles Soulier - c.1869$2,200.00
Photographs of Alpine Scenery
by Charles Soulier
40 photographic plates, all captioned. Captions are in French, with attribution to Soulier.
Published by: Unknown, circa 1865-1875.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- There is no title page. Presumed to be a personal and custom binding of photographic plates.
- Binding is intact with some play.
- Brown leather covers feature elaborate designs in black filigree, with text in gilt, and dentelle, and exhibit some edgewear. Boards are exposed at spots, displaying overall scuffing. Spine features five raised bands with black filigree, and displays some noticeable rubbing as well as chipping to ends, more to foot. Shoulders are splitting from ends, with some fraying, severe rubbing and exposed boards, more to front.
- Ex-libris bookplate and catalog reference sticker on front pastedown. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Photo images are laid-in onto a printed frame with image caption in French.
- Plates are protected with paper, instead of the usual tissue guards, and are overall well-preserved.
- Two paper protections are detached, and one has a tear. (See photos)
- Interior displays expected age-toning, with foxing throughout.
- Many images are surrounded by heavy foxing to bound pages, some carrying over to the photos. Much of the photographic paper resisted foxing, so that the page is more foxed than the image. However, some of the photos are foxed, particularly along the top edge.
- Textblock shows some warping to top portion of page. (See photos)
- Textblock edges have AEG and display some rubbing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. 22 x 15.5 inches.
These magnificent photographs of the Alpine region of Switzerland and France have been taken at a time when it was extraordinary to obtain such results. The panoramic views of the glaciers, the mountains, bridges and villages are almost reminiscent of those of Ansel Adams some years later, in the vastness of their range and depth of field, which were remarkable for the technology of Soulier's time. Taken at the end of the 19th century, these shots represent some of the earliest photographic views we have of the beautiful region of the Alps and the surrounding villages. The series includes shots of Lucerne, Interlaken, Sion, Berne, Thoune, Fribourg, as well as a series of glacier photos including dramatic shots of the Mont Blanc.
This is a beautiful example of a 19th century custom fine binding, with rounded spine, detailed cover design, and a solid strong binding. Each photo has a plain protective page of regular paper. There is no title page for this book. Perhaps the photos were purchased on travel in Switzerland and bound at a later date. Details on the catalog reference sticker infer that it was once part of an extensive personal collection. Dating was determined by comparing to other photographs taken by Sollier.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore