PEARLS AND SAVAGES: ADVENTURES in the AIR, on LAND and SEA - in NEW GUINEA, by Captain Frank Hurley - 1981 [Ltd Ed]
Pearls and Savages: Adventures in the Air, on Land and Sea - in New Guinea
by Captain Frank Hurley
A fascinating travel into the uncharted lands of New Guinea and its people, this amazing book collects the adventures of Captain Frank Hurley, whose exploration took him deep into the beauty and mystery of the yet unknown landscapes of the island. Filled with pictures and photographs of a rare precision, Pearls and Savages presents itself as a travel account, while being really a revealing as well as entertaining study on one of the most exotic and fascinating places on Earth. The reader, guided by the author's breath-taking narration, will discover the customs of the people, who at the time had never been in contact with Western civilization, the varieties of landscapes, and all that is fascinating and mysterious about one of the unknown regions of the Earth. 414 pages. 7.75 x 10.5 inches.
Facsimile edition of the 1924 edition. Limited Edition: no. 321 of 1000 copies. Lavishly illustrated with beautiful black & white photographs as well as maps. Eighty illustrations.
Published by: G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York and London, 1981.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Volume displays minimal wear to covers and interior with some edgewear to DJ.
- Green covers feature text in gilt on front and are in great condition displaying faint white staining along lower edges.
- Spine features text in gilt.
- Binding is secure.
- Limited edition statement on first page with number of copy written in red upon black & white illustration. (See photos)
- Back pastedown displays three small spots of residue along upper edge.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and show some slight smudges along front and foot.
- DJ is wrapped in Mylar and backed with archival paper, and displays some edgewear from closed tears and rubbing along front and shoulders.
- Largest closed tear is to head of spine on front, and is 0.75" long. (See photos)
- DJ exhibits commensurate overall wear including sunned spine, scuffing at shoulders and edges as well as some dirt.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore