PADLOCKS & GIRDLES OF CHASTITY, by Alcide Bonneau - 1892 [1st Ed]$250.00
Padlocks and Girdles of Chastity: An Historical and Descriptive Notice
by Alcide Bonneau
Very scarce FIRST EDITION translated from the original French bound in three quarter leather with gilt detailing. Author Alcide Bonneau presents a critical examination of the various methods of imposed chastity practiced throughout the world. The second half of the book features the speech of Monsieur Freydier on behalf Mdlle Marie Lajon versus Sieur Pierre Berlhe, prisoner of the court. 104 pages. 4.5" by 6.25".
Title continues to which is added Freydier's speech against their use in France (Re Lajon versus Berlhe - breach of promise of marriage).
Published by Isidore Lisieux. Paris, France. 1892.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Three-quarter leatherbound covers with gilt detailing are mostly clean. with scuffing limited to the cloth, specifically the upper portion of the front cover with additional scuffing to the rear cover. Please see photos.
- Leather corners are lightly bumped with the upper corners worn and displaying partially exposed boards.
- Spine features lustrous gilt lettering and design detail and five raised bands with gilt accent.
- Leather to the spine head is lightly scuffed.
- Binding is secure and stable.
- Marble pastedowns show little to no sign of age or wear other than very faint scuffing mild darkening.
- Endpapers bear shadows along the perimeter from the leather trim along the facing board.
- Front pastedown bears a small sticker to the upper left corner.
- Illustrations are vibrant.
- Interior exhibits minimal signs of age and wear with some faint smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- The outermost portion of the corner of page 97 appears to have been torn and remove. Please see photos.
- Lustrous gilt to the textblock top edge.
- Deckled edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
"Isidore Liseux (1835-1894) is a French publisher with whom Alcide Bonneau collaborated.
"Alcide Bonneau (1836-1904) was a French intellectual, philologist, literary critic and translator of erotica and curiosa.
"Bonneau, like printer Isidore Liseux, was an ex-priest, and they had known each other since seminary.
He was lexicographer at the Grand dictionnaire of Pierre Larousse (on Spanish and Italian literature), as well as the Nouveau Larousse illustré." (artandpopularculture)
"The origin of padlocks of chastity in that peculiar knot, called the Herculean knot, which used to fasten the woolen sash of the Grecian maiden, and which the husband alone was to untie on his wedding night. Solidify this knot, apply it to iron bars, and you have almost the padlock. The girdle of virginity, worn by the Grecian maidens, used to be put on at the nubile age and taken off after marriage; quite on the contrary, the girdle of chastity was presented by the husband to the wife in the morning of his wedding night, as a most suitable means of maintaining union and good understanding between them, by dispelling all his jealous fears. The woman’s body is like the larder of man’s pleasures, in a selfish point of view; what can be more natural than to padlock the larder, for fear some intruder should come and fall upon the best morsels and eat up the dainties?" (from a later publisher)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore