ON THE ROAD, by Jack Kerouac - 1957
On the Road
by Jack Kerouac
Third Printing. New York: The Viking Press, 1957.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Vintage binding features black cloth covers with white text on front and spine.
- Volume displays gentle overall aging and wear and is well preserved.
- Covers exhibit mild edgewear with some fraying and a little exposed boards at corners, as well as a vertical ripple to cloth on front, running from head to foot edge. Pastedown suggests a 2.5" crease from head in board.
- Boards exhibit a little dust and minimal scuffing.
- Spine shows some minor softening to ends.
- Binding is secure with minimal play.
- Interior displays minimal toning, with rare marginal smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have red ink along head, and display gentle commensurate toning.
- DJ looks nice behind Mylar, and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ displays some chipping and creasing along head edges and to head corners, with a long chip going 0.5" maximum into back from head edge. (See photos)
- DJ also exhibits some creasing to foot corner of front, as well as overall rubbing along edges and toning to back.
- DJ was professionally and expertly restored in places.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
310 pages. 5.5 x 8.25 inches.
On the Road is a novel depicting a generation, the postwar generation of the Beat and Counterculture currents. The youth of these years was a generation of young people who were addicted to a life of travel, drug use, dreams, and somehow hope in a better future. Kerouac's novel constitutes a tribute to these people, giving an insight of the bohemian life in those gangs that is at once passionate and affectionate.
Jack Kerouac (1922-1969) was an American writer of French-Canadian origin. A novelist and poet, he was considered an iconoclast who advocated the hippie movement and was a pioneer of the Beat generation. His works put together such themes as Catholicism, jazz, Buddhism, drugs, poverty, and travel, and he is recognized for his spontaneous prose.
EDITION POINTS: 3rd printing.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore