OLIVER TWIST, by Charles Dickens and George Cruikshank - 1838 [1st Ed., 3rd issue]
by Charles Dickens
illustrated by George Cruikshank
First edition, third issue, three volumes. London: Richard Bentley, 1838
Hardback set is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Brown cloth covers have blind tooled ornament and gilt titles on spines.
- Boards show some wear, aging, bumps, dings, scuffing, warping, edgewear. Splits in cloth at shoulders, an ink mark X on Volume 2 cover. Corners are bowed and frayed, with exposed board.
- Spines have gilt text, dimmed, with crushed and frayed ends.
- Bindings are intact but fragile. Vol. 1: separation showing pp. 144-145; Vol. 2: loose signature following p. 142; Vol. 3: binding is cocked, separation showing at pp. 146-147. See photos for details of condition.
- Pale yellow pastedowns and feps have some light staining, many bookseller marks. Owner's mark on title page Vol. 3.
- Frontispieces, illustrated plates, are present in each volume.
- Title Pages list "Charles Dickens" as author, not "Boz".
- Illustrations are clear, plates are age toned, with scattered foxing, marginal age-toning.
- No Plate List
- No "Fireside Chat" plate.
- "Church" plate at end of Vol. 3.
- Interior is age-toned, with marginal toning, scattered moderate foxing, some wear at page edges. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
923 pages. 5 x 8 inches
The first edition of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, first published in book form in 1838. Three volumes; this is the third issue, with Dickens listed as author on the title page, rather than "Boz". Illustrated with plates by George Cruikshank, English caricaturist and illustrator, who worked with Dickens on several of his early books.
Published by Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street, London.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to coveru signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore