NORTHWOOD: LIFE NORTH & SOUTH, by Sarah Josepha Hale - 1852
Northwood, or, Life North And South: Showing the True Character of Both
by Mrs. Sarah Josepha Hale
Sarah Josepha Buell Hale (1788-1879) released her first version of this novel in 1827, and it was embraced as one of the first novels depicting slavery in the U.S. After working a number of years as an editor, she released this new illustrated edition. Hale is best known as the author of the nursery rhyme "Mary Had A Little Lamb," and her work to establish Thanksgiving as an American holiday. Even so, it could be argued that her most influential work was her 40 years as the editor of the notable "Godey's Lady's Book," a journal that profoundly shaped trends in taste, fashion and design in the 19th century. 408 pages. 5 x 7.5 inches.
Second Edition, published by: H. Long & Brother, New York. 1852
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Covers have elaborate blind tooling on front and back, gilt on spine.
- Book has been professionally rebacked, preserving original spine piece.
- Hinges of book were professionally reinforced.
- Binding is secure and firm.
- Brown cloth over boards is bubbling in places, with lightly bumped corners and minimal rubbing or staining.
- Inside pages are free of marginalia and underlining.
- Front fly page has owner's info in pencil.
- Pastedowns and feps have moderate smudges and foxing.
- Scattered light foxing throughout, with a little more on a couple pages, mostly in margins.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks