NEW UNIVERSAL ATLAS OF THE WORLD, by Mitchell - 1857 [Desilver]$1,600.00
New Universal Atlas, Containing Maps of the Various Empires, Kingdoms, States and Republics of the World
by Samuel Augustus Mitchell
Philadelphia: Charles Desilver, 1857.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays notable overall wear and aging, yet all maps are present except one, and are perfectly framable. Plate #38 is missing from book.
- Half-bound in leather.
- Covers feature gilt text and filigree on front, and display pronounced overall wear with staining and scuffing, with a 1.5" bubble above gilt on front.
- Front cover is detached, as is front fep. (See photos)
- Boards are exposed along most of edges, and show notable wear, with shoulder ends on front exhibiting 1.25" and 1.75" long chips. (See photos)
- Spine piece is missing. Shoulders are severely chipped, and signatures are visible.
- Binding is shaken with detached boards.
- Half a dozen plates are detached. Images are not effected by toning.
- All maps are perfectly framable. (See photos)
- Endpapers and feps show severe toning, staining and foxing, as well as tears and chips.
- Interior is gently toned throughout. Very scarce tiny foxing can be found.
- Atlas has just a few dampstains. One on title page (see photo). Two pages exhibit faint marginal damp stains. Plate 54 has more obvious marginal damp stain that extends into map border across page, as well as persisting in margin only in next 2 pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock are tinted with blue marble design.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
76 numbered plates, missing plate #38. 152 pages. 14 x 17.75 inches.
Maps retain their vibrant colors, and would be lovely framed.
Featuring full-size, full-color plates, Mitchell's Atlas of the World offers an extensive overview of the regions of the world. Always includes a scale of distance. To the full-size map is often added a zoom-in on a region or big city. The United States are particularly well documented with a section featuring a map for each state.
Features a section with a special map for each of the States, with plans of cities. "145 maps, plans and sections." All maps are full-size and full-color.
Samuel Augustus Mitchell (1790-1868) was an American geographer. Initially a teacher, he turned to publishing geography textbooks and maps after realizing how few there were. His numerous maps and guides were best-sellers in their day, and the thriving business was continued by his son.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore