NATURAL HISTORY OF THE FLIRT, by Albert Smith - 1848 [1st Ed]
The Natural History of the Flirt
by Albert Smith
illustrated by Gavarni, Gilbert, and Henning
FIRST EDITION. London: D. Bogue, 1848.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Antiquarian three-quarter leather binding features colorful blue and green covers, with matching endpapers as well as gilt text and filigree on rounded spine. Original paper cover bound into end - custom bound by Sandgorski and Sutcliffe.
- Volume displays commensurate wear and aging.
- Covers exhibit gentle overall wear, with rubbing along edges and some scuffs on covers, as well as gentle bumping to corners.
- Boards show a little darkening along back shoulder and to corners, and to head corner on front.
- Spine is rubbed along shoulders, at ends, and minimally on raised band near foot. Gilt is still bright on spine. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure throughout, yet is cracked towards ad pages at end, as well as 1.25" into back hinge from head. (See photos)
- Endpapers are vibrant and show minimal edge fading, slightly more to fore edge of front endpaper, facing pastedown.
- Frontispiece is well preserved behind tissue guard, with gentle toning.
- Interior is gently toned throughout, with rare smudges and spots.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show minimal occasional edgewear.
- Gutter is cracked just before where the original cover was bound into the book.
- Bound in covers are partially detached due to cracked binding, 1.25" from head. Back cover shows professional repair with mended tears, 1.25" into page horizontally from fore edge, and 3.25" into page vertically from foot edge. Vertical tear is barely visible from printed side of page. (See photos)
- One ad page is half-sized and indicates "new works by Mr Albert Smith" before ad pages. (See photos)
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and display gentle commensurate toning along other edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
107 pages + 16 pp of ads + original paper wraps. 3.75 x 5.5 inches.
Custom fine binding is three-quarter bound in leather, with colorful design on covers and matching endpapers, as well as gilt text and filigree with two raised bands on rounded spine. Includes ribbon bookmark.
Book is illustrated throughout with B&W line illustrations, as well as music scores. Features 16 pages of publisher's ads at end.
This witty and entertaining book is a guide to the understanding of the character of the Flirt - the girl who arrives at a party and draws the gazes of all those assembled in an instant. Filled with elegant poetry, song scores, and pleasant advise to handle the Flirt and get the most out of the party, the volume will delight ladies and gentlemen alike as they are immersed in the splendid world of parties and of the distractions of the high society of the time.
Albert Richard Smith (1816-1860) was an English author, entertainer, and mountaineer, who started studying medicine before turning to writing. A passionate mountaineer and traveler, he was a founding member of the Alpine Club in 1857.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore