MYSTIC CIRCLE AND AMERICAN HANDBOOK OF MASONRY, by George H. Gray - 1852
The Mystic Circle and American Hand-Book of Masonry
containing - a Brief History of Freemasonry in Europe and America; Symbolic Chart; Ancient Constitutions of the Grand Lodge of England; Ahiman Rezon; Constitutional Rules; Resolutions, Decisions, and Opinions of Grand Lodges and Enlightened Masons on Questions Liable to Arise in Subordinate Lodges - A Code of By-Laws for Subordinate Lodges, Instructions, Suggestions and Forms, for Secretaries of Lodges
by George H. Gray
Third Edition, Revised and Corrected. Cincinnati, OH: H.W. Derby & Co., 1852.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Antiquarian volume features full leather binding with blind-tooling on front and back, as well as gilt lettering on rounded spine.
- Book display commensurate wear and aging.
- Covers exhibit overall scuffing and edgewear, with fading along edges and exposed boards to corner, that also show gentle bumping.
- Back cover is heavily darkened with a rosy hue that is not unpleasant. Leather has worn off shoulder ends and some of foot edge. (See photos)
- Front shoulder is cracked and loosening, yet front cover is still attached to textblock.
- Spine shows some fading and cracking, with chips at head and minor chipping at foot.
- Binding is fragile with cracking of front hinge. Book exhibits a gap part way through textblock, that is not visible at gutter yet shows from edges of textblock when book is closed. (See photos)
- Front feps display toning with significant foxing, that is light on back feps.
- Frontispiece displays marginal foxing, as well as a damp stain going 0.75" into page from fore edge, that persists from front feps onto title page and last page of table of contents, decreasing in size as it advances. (See photos)
- Illustrations are in text, and display light toning and occasional foxing in same measure as text. (See photos)
- Interior shows light age-toning and light scattered foxing, that intensifies on some pages and page corners.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- One instance found inside of dog-earing found in pages.
- Text block edges are a little dusty ans faded, with ink still well visible.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
472 pages. 5.25 x 8 inches.
Antiquarian volume features full leather binding, with blind-tooling on front and back, as well as gilt lettering on rounded spine with colorful marble design on textblock edges.
Fully illustrated scarce and collectible edition, with Symbolic Chart, Rules and Regulations.
This beautiful work puts together some of the most important information for any mason or masonic lodge. Written as a source of knowledge to guide subordinate lodges yet also as a personal handbook for any mason, it often takes the form of a dialogue with questions and answers, that gives useful clues to masonic symbolism and mysteries. It is also of considerable use for the administration of lodges, containing by-laws for the proper function of lodges.
EDITION POINTS: Third Edition, Revised and Corrected.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore