MODERN LETTERING AND CALLIGRAPHY, ed by R. Holme & K. Frost - 1954 [1st Ed]
Modern Lettering and Calligraphy: A Sequel to "Lettering of Today"
edited by Rathbone Holme & Kathleen M. Frost
- Calligraphy, by Mervyn C. Oliver
- Modern Lettering in Book Production, by Ruari McLean
- Lettering in Association with Architecture, by George Mansell
- Lettering in Advertising, by Frederick A. Horn
FIRST EDITION. London & New York: The Studio Publications, 1954.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Vintage volume features color DJ and red covers with gilt on rounded spine.
- Volume is overall Very Good with mild aging and wear.
- Boards display mild overall fading with minor edgewear.
- Corners are gently bumped.
- Spine shows a little fading, including to gilt, and has softened, frayed ends.
- Binding is overall secure with some play.
- Illustrations are well preserved, and exhibit gentle toning. (See photos)
- Endpapers display some offsets.
- Interior is gently age-toned, with pages showing slightly stronger toning in margins.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display commensurate toning.
- DJ looks nice behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ displays overall rubbing, as well as some edgewear with minor chipping to corners and spine ends.
- Head and foot edges of DJ show some creasing on back, and foot corner on front has a 1" vertical closed tear. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
144 pages. 8.25 x 11.5 inches.
A reference guide that has been deemed a classic among works of its kind. The sequel of a book first published in 1937 on the art of lettering, the work explores all fields in which knowledge of that art proves an invaluable asset. It includes examples in calligraphy, book production, advertisement, and even architecture. The newest contemporary techniques are explained and illustrated by four of the leading authorities of its day to create a book that will be invaluable to both the practitioner and the student, or the buyer, of fine lettering.
Includes nearly 300 illustrations, some of which feature monochrome color. Includes an introduction and an index of illustrations.
EDITION POINTS: First Published, 1954.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore