MODERN FOOTBALL, by H.O. "Fritz" Crisler - 1949 [Signed]
Modern Football: Fundamentals and Strategy
by H.O. "Fritz" Crisler
A captivating revelation for all football fans, or those who are simply fascinated by one of the most talked about sport in America and in the world. A game of passion and of violence where physical strength and stamina are mandatory, football nonetheless challenges moral resistance as well as mental capacities for strategy and cunning. At the basis of the great players - and victors - is a tremendous web of technique and fundamentals which favor if not guarantee victory. The author of this remarkable volume, famous American college football coach Herbert Orin "Fritz" Crisler, named after the great violinist for his wizardry and stunning technique, worked in several universities in Chicago, Princeton, and won 116 games in the course of his illustrious eighteen-year career. He created the two-platoon football, in which separate unities were employed for offense and defense. This beautiful edition, signed and inscribed by the author, is lavishly illustrated with photographs of key moments in games, as well as diagrams of games, and filled with detailed descriptions of strategies for any situations. A treasure for the player as much as for the fan. 279 pages. 5.75 x 8.25 inches.
FIRST EDITION. SIGNED. INSCRIBED to "Hack" McGraw, presumably Harold William McGraw, Jr (of the publishing company). Lavishly illustrated with black & white photographs and diagrams.
Published by: Whittlesey House, New York, 1949.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with moderate wear to covers and interior.
- Three-quarter leatherbound.
- Covers feature lines in gilt, and orange leather at corners and along spine.
- Cloth boards show some damp stains, as well as pink and white stains.
- Leather is moderately worn from rubbing and staining.
- Spine features text and lines in gilt and five raised bands, with some rubbing to shoulders.
- Binding is tight and secure.
- Front fep displays ink signature and inscription of author. (See photos)
- Pastedowns exhibit handsome marble colored design, with some wear from toning. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are on glossy paper, and show moderate toning with occasional damp staining.
- Original publisher's bookmark ribbon shows commensurate wear.
- Interior is gently age-toned and displays marginal damp staining on some pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show light warping.
- Text block edges show commensurate toning, with a pink stain from ribbon bookmark at foot and gilt along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore