MIRO: SOBRE PAPEL, by Matisse Gallery - 1972 [Original Litho]
Miro: Sobre Papel - 1964-1971
Oils; Mixed Media; Collages; Gouaches; Watercolors; Drawings
published on the Occasion of the Exhibition at the Pierre Matisse Gallery, March 21 to April 15, 1972
with Text by Pierre Schneider
FIRST EDITION published as Catalog to the Exhibition. New York: Pierre Matisse Gallery, 1972.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD++ condition with VERY GOOD++ DJ.
- Volume features original lithograph as dust jacket, with return flaps.
- Book displays minor overall wear and minimal aging.
- Covers display slightly bumped corners and overall toning.
- Lithograph is vibrant, and shows minor to minimal edgewear with occasional creases along front edges, longest being approx. 0.75", and minor bumping to head corner on back.
- Spine displays minimal creasing along shoulders.
- Binding is secure.
- Plates exhibit little to no wear with minimal aging.
- Interior displays minimal age-toning.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display minimal dust and scuffing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. Approx. 32 pages. 9.5 x 12.5 inches.
Book features original lithograph as covers. Wraps have return flaps.
Volume includes 19 full-color plates and 39 B&W, as well as a list of plates with captions indicating titles, dimensions, media, etc. Volume additionally includes a text by Pierre Schneider, on the man and his work.
This beautiful exhibition catalog features a wide array of works by the Spanish artist, covering oil paintings, mixed media, watercolors, gouaches collages and drawings. As one gets introduced to the various fields in which Miro distinguished himself they discover the truly original output of this interesting artist, guided in this discovery by the insightful text of Pierre Schneider.
Joan Miro (1893-1983) was a Spanish artist. At once painter, sculptor, and ceramicist, he gained international acclaim through his work, that was the object of several interpretations: it was at once seen as Surrealist, a sand-box for the subconscious mind, a re-creation of the childlike, and a manifestation of Catalan pride. Perhaps the main feature of his personality as artist was his contempt for traditional painting methods which he saw as dedicated to bourgeois society, and declared an "assassination of painting" which was to be replaced by a method to systematically upset the visual elements of established painting. A museum dedicated to his work was opened in Barcelona in 1975. [Wikipedia]
Pierre Schneider is the author of several books on art, notably "The World of Manet, 1832-1883", "The World of Watteau, 1684-1721", "Matisse", "Frida Kahlo", and "Diego Rivera".
EDITION POINTS: First Edition, published as Catalog to the Exhibition at the Pierre Matisse Gallery.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore