MESSAGE FROM THE INTERIOR, by Walker Evans - 1966 [1st Ed]
Message from the Interior
by Walker Evans
essay by John Szarkowski
Starting as an expression of his own, personal vision of the world through art, Walker Evans' style has become, by impressing itself upon our minds and in our subconscious, a testimony of our past as Americans. Nobler still than the individual lyric beauty they each display, his works have a loftier calling, greater in scale, that of constituting by their association a complete story, of the past, and of life, shown as they really are, without the intrusion of passion and sentiment. This volume presents in splendid black & white plates, the beautiful and sad message of this most remarkable artist, including a text on the author and his work and a list of plates. Approx. 30 pages (12 plates). 14 x 14.25 inches.
A unique presentation of 12 masterworks of photography, scrupulously reproduced in sheet-fed gravure. Full page prints in a volume on fine Bristol card, interleaved and bound in buckram. "A work of art–-brilliantly conceived; surely sets a new standard against which serious photographic books will be measured." –John Szarkowski, Museum of Modern Art
FIRST EDITION. Lavishly illustrated with black & white plates of the author's photographs. Each illustration protected by tissue guard. Text on the author by the Director of the Department of Photography of The Museum of Modern Art, New York, and list of plates included at end of volume.
Published by: The Eakins Press, New York, 1966.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with some edgewear on covers and minimal aging inside.
- Black wraps are mildly faded and feature white title label with black text on front.
- Covers show some mild overall scuffing and discreet white stains, as well as some edgewear from rubbing, and a small hole on back near shoulder.
- Corners show some creasing and minimal bumping.
- Spine displays some rubbing to ends, with 1"+ chips at each end. (See photos)
- Binding is secure.
- Interior is gently age-toned, more at margins, with occasional creases to corners of pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Tissue guards with notable toning are intact. (See photos)
- Text block edges are moderately toned, with minor scuffing and a small stain on head near gutter.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore