MEN ON BATAAN, by John Hersey - 1942 [1st Ed]
Men on Bataan
by John Hersey
FIRST EDITION. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1942.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is quarter-bound in gray cloth and features blue text on spine, as well as red covers with blind-tooling on front.
- Book displays gentle overall wear and aging.
- Covers exhibit minor overall scuffing and rubbing, and some dust along head edges.
- Boards show minimal edgewear, with two slight bumps, one to foot corner of front, and one to foot edge of back, as well as minimal rubbing to head corner of front with board minimally showing. (See photos)
- Spine displays some sunning, as well as softening to ends, with fraying and a small crack to head. (See photos)
- Binding is secure.
- Endpapers displays notable toning and some foxing. Back pastedown has bookseller sticker near left foot corner. (See photos)
- Interior is gently toned and displays rare smudges, that are more frequent on first pages up to page 11, together with some foxing affecting these pages in margin. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show remnants of inking along head, which is also dusty, as well as some foxing along deckled front and foot edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
313 pages. 5.75 x 8 inches.
Volume is quarter-bound in gray cloth, and features blue text on spine, as well as red cloth covers with blind-tooling on front.
This is the story of General MacArthur, through that of one of the major achievements of his career: the defense of Bataan. Viewed by his fellow countrymen as their guiding light, their knight in shining armor, he stands out in history as an example of courage and valor. This remarkable work is not only the story of a key event in the history of the world and of the association of the United States and the Philippines against Japan in WWII, it is first and foremost the story of the General, his extraordinary achievements, his legendary image, yet also his flaws and shortcomings. It is a biography that presents the man through the mythification of times.
General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964) was an American five-star general and Field Marshal of the Philippine Army. He received two Medals of Honor for his outstanding military achievements, one of which he earned for his service in the Philippines Campaign, and was noted for keeping his promise to the Philippines at the defense of Bataan. One of the most celebrated figures in American military history during WWII, he occupied a number of key positions in the US army during some of its most important conflicts.
The Battle of Bataan was a battle fought between January 7th, 1942 and April 9, 1942 by the United States and the Philippines against Japan during World War II. It represents the most intense stage of the invasion of the Philippines by Japan at that time.
PROVENANCE: bookseller sticker on back pastedown, from Traver's bookstore, Trenton, NJ.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore