MEN AT WORK: PHOTOGRAPHIC STUDIES OF MODERN MEN AND MACHINES, by Lewis Hine -1932 [1st Ed]
Men At Work
by Lewis W. Hine
An amazing photography book featuring exceptional shots of men in extreme working situations and conditions, Men At Work is also a tribute to the courage of these workers, who face fire, sparkles of metal or wood, and danger of falling off a ladder or a building, to carry out their work. Whether it be grinding, mining, working with turbines, coal, for the railroad, these unknown men who work with hammers and other like instruments, are truly, as one caption states, modern Thors, who have learned to wield matter at a level of perfection as alone can create such wonders of science and technology. These extraordinary photographs, which capture them in the most hazardous instants and situations of their awe-inspiring work, truly show the dedication shown by simple men for a work greater than themselves. To create this book, the author has toiled in many industries and associated with thousands of workers, endeavouring to inspire a feeling of respect for the men who build and manipulate modern machines. "Not in clanging fights and desperate marches only is heroism to be looked for, but on every bridge and building that is going up today, on freight trains, on vessels and lumber-rafts, in mines, among firemen and policemen, the demand for courage is incessant and the supply never fails. These are our soldiers, our sustainers, the very parents of our life." Captioned with poetical as much as instructive comments, the photographs will delight artists as well as lovers of the rare and extreme. 48 pages. 8 x 10.25 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Richly illustrated with black & white captioned photographs.
Published by: The MacMillan Company, New York, 1932.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with moderate aging to covers and interior.
- Green cloth covers feature text in black on front, and display some fading as well as a damp stain along lower edge showing on both front and back. (See photos)
- Boards exhibit pronounced overall fading, with a white stain on back near lower edge, and with some fraying and exposed boards along edges and corners.
- Spine is rough and strongly sunned, with cracking and chips at ends and all along shoulders.
- Binding is overall secure with a little play.
- Interior is gently toned.
- Pastedowns have a little pencil writing.
- DJ front and back have been loosely inserted and exhibit some edgewear. Spine is missing. (See photos)
- Text block edges are toned and darkened.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore